Watched inception today and the movie is definitely ingenious as the posters and reviewers say. It's clever, mind bloggling (which keeps you questioning for hours) and witty (maybe bordering humorous even though noone in the cinema laughed) Inception got me inspired about the idea on the concept of an idea (try and get your head around that!)So.. let's start of quote a quote from the film, shall we?
“What’s the most resilient parasite? An Idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities. An idea can transform the world and rewrite all the rules. Which is why I have to steal it.”
Yes, a great quote with so many possibilities of discussion. The movie brought me to question how a a simple emotional thought can grow, breed into the most complex ideas such the development of our train of thought. What scares me even more is how an idea can control you and in a sense consume you. An idea can blind you from obvious truths almost causing a tunnel vision. I would put example from the movie here, but that will just spoil it for people who haven't watched it. So I won't.
An idea breeding from our subconsciousness can breed and develop into our consciouness,, therefore leading us to do specific actions and decide from and infinite number of choice. So I pose the question, where does an idea come from? Is it just a simple light bulb that turns on in your mind or is it more? What triggers ideas to build? Emotion? past memories? Is there just a lottery of ideas and you're just lucky that the right inspiration triggered the great idea? what is an idea? a development (upgrade) of other's or your own thoughts? or is it a completely new undiscovered logic? These are some questions which will take pages to decide on an answer and even then we may never know. The modern world continues to drabble on about the importance of intellectual property the 'stealing' of idea. So what constitutes as stealing? the obvious one is just to copy someone's action or process or even product. But how about you extracting specific 'ideas' from others and formulating your own 'original' idea? Still stealing? I think not.
So, have I confused you enough for you to start questioning? Or does your mind just hurt trying to get your mind around everything? If you are experiencing either then this post has served its purpose. If not then start using your mind's processing system, it works wonders, I promise. Now, if you're wondering why on earth am I questioning so much and not just 'going with the flow' then i would argue that the movie is MEANT make you think and question realities and dreams and ideas. that's the whole point on leaving an open ended ending!
so to end this extremely long post (the longest yet on my blog) I will end with a quote from my Lecturer in History and Philosophy of science, Peter somethignorrather.
"Question everything. If you think something is real then question that!"
Toodles.